Friday, April 6, 2012

Spring Style Tips from Stylist Lindsi Lane


Ford Artists personal stylist, Lindsi Lane, began her career as the youngest personal stylist ever at Barneys New York and has worked her way up to being one of the city's most sought-after stylists. We spoke to her about her Spring 2012 must-haves, her go-to designers, up-and-comers to watch, and more.



The Fashion Spot: You must have worked with some interesting people as a stylist at Barneys. Can you tell us about any particularly memorable clients?

Lindsi Lane: Working for Barneys New York was such an amazing experience! I once shopped withLauren Hutton, which was such an awesome day! To work with such an American icon who has been in the industry forever was really cool for me.

tFS: Do you have any go-to designers?

LL: It always depends on the situation or who I am styling, but personally I love Alexander Wang, Isabel Marant, Phillip Lim, Matthew Williamson, Marchesa, Rick Owens…I mean, the list is endless!

tFS: Any up-and-comers we should have our eye out for?

LL: Two designers right now that are on my radar are Nonoo and Cushnie et Ochs. Both completely different designers, Nonoo has that super cool “day into night” look and Cushnie et Ochs’ pieces are just so insanely sexy! Serious showstoppers!

tFS: What are some timeless essentials that will never go out of style?

LL: I actually get asked this question a lot. Every girl should absolutely have:
A classic black/nude pump. I love the Christian Louboutin “Decolette” pump.
A cool leather jacket. A personal obsession is Rick Owens (although a steep investment, I promise you will never have to buy another leather jacket ever again!)
A timeless bag that you can wear year round. Purchasing one in a color that complements your wardrobe is ideal.

tFS: What were some of your favorite Spring 2012 shows?

LL: Each season, I attend the Dennis Basso fashion show and this season I was fawning over everything. He incorporated the most amazing neon orange furs that I just couldn’t stop gushing over! I also loved the color palette at Phillip Lim and I literally want every piece from Isabel Marant’s Spring collection; so genius!

tFS: How can one pull off the athletic trend in a chic way?

LL: This is a fun trend! I would balance out the casualness of the trend with more formal pieces such as sequins or crystals. That way, it will be a look you can take to the streets without literally looking like you are on your way to the gym.

tFS: Neutrals are big for Spring, how do you suggest giving them some spice for a memorable look?

LL: It is easy for a head-to-toe neutral look to look drab and dry so I suggest adding a chunky, fun crystal necklace or accessory of your choice and/or an amazing neon colored pump. You will look so chic and on trend for the season.

tFS: Thoughts on print-on-print?

LL: Any excuse to have fun with color and prints are on my checklist! However, it is trial and error when it comes to mixing prints. Experiment with some items in your closet to find which prints look best together. Usually, I find that it is the ones that you would least expect to work together that DO work, so have fun with it. Fashion should be fun!

tFS: What Spring 2012 items are worth investing in? Which do you see being particularly fleeting?

LL: I think that investing in a colorful neon handbag or shoe is something that can perk up anyone’s wardrobe, especially in the summertime. This isn’t even necessarily a “trend” since having color in your wardrobe is a MUST. This will take you much further than just this season. What trend I think is particularly fleeting would be the athletic one. Although fun and cool, I don’t believe we will be seeing this every season to come. Also, this trend is not for everyone, as having color in your wardrobe is.

tFS: One Spring 2012 item you're dying to splurge on?

LL: Oh, come on, it is hard to name just one! I will name a few on my dream wish list: an ivory/oatmeal colored Rick Owens leather jacket, Nicholas Kirkwood printed sandals, and a bright Celinepython clutch.
If you like this please follow me and I'll follow you back :) Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment